About our reforestation projects
The project was the first of its kind in the Messguina forest, located in the southwestern part of Morocco.
We plant trees at two different sites both measuring 10 hectares each.
We started planting in March 2016 | Our main activities
- Growing and planting argan trees. Fencing in the area to protect the trees from animals.
- Rehabilitation of trees, pruning and trimming of existing Argan trees in the area
- Technical and practical training to the locals on regenerating Argan trees for use in their own living area
- Literacy training to local women in the project area
- Provide training programs to female workers at Argan oil cooperatives on production management, quality control, traceability, marketing and communication
- Organizing workshops on sustainable management of the Argan forest
- Organizing practical workshops of seedling growing and plantation
- Spread knowledge and awareness on the importance of the Argan forest internationally
How the activities are conducted
- Through workshops and practical training
- Argan Care will together with its partner organization in Morocco, Ibn Al Baytar, conduct all the activities together with the locals. No work will be outsourced or subcontracted to other companies
- Training on management, quality control, communication and other useful business skills will be given women working at argan oil cooperatives in the area
The goals achieved through the activities
- The locals will be more engaged in the preservation efforts of the argan forest through training activities. These skills will be of high value to the people and coming generations after the project discontinues
- The project participants will set up fences around the areas the trees are planted to ensure the trees are protected from animals
- The project participants will have the proper knowledge on how to harvest the argan fruits without causing damage to the tree
- Training for female workers at argan oil cooperative will increase the production cycle and sales
Picture of argan trees: Argan trees grown in semi-desert soil and are very resilient to changes in climate.
Picture of goats climbing in the trees: The goats in Morocco are exceptionally good at climbing and love the argan nuts and the leaves. Part of our project is to educate the herders of the damage of this to the trees and why this is a problem and find ways to avoid it.